Find your area
Your business plan
A business plan is a planning tool that lets entrepreneurs structure their ideas. It identifies the mission of the business, the vision and values of the entrepreneur(s), and the services/products to be offered. It also analyzes the market (segmentation) and the competition and lays out the marketing strategy, financial forecasts, etc.
Your business plan will be used as a management tool and a way of presenting your organization when seeking financing or partnerships.
Business plan templates:
- Business plan for a for-profit enterprise
- Business plan for a for a social economy enterprise
- Modelo de plan negocios de una empresa de economía social (Los planes de negocios presentados a PME MTL para obtener un apoyo financiero deberán estar escritos en francés. Sin embargo, para facilitar su comprensión obtenga aquí un plan de negocios en español.)
Online resources for preparing business plans:
Many organizations offer business plan templates and resources for entrepreneurs:
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – The “Just for business" section has all kinds of information on companies and industry sector statistics that will help you with market research.
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) – The “Start or buy a business" section is full of information and tips for start-ups.
- Info Entrepreneurs - Info Entrepreneurs offers interactive tools to help you find the information you need.
Market data and information
A market study lets you analyze the goods or services you plan to offer in terms of the competition. Specialized organizations can provide data to help you in this exploration :
- Centre de recherche industrielle du Québec
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Montréal en statistiques (in French)
- Carrefour Affaires BANQ (in French)
- Institut de la statistique Québec
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business
In creating a business, financial tools are a valuable addition to your business plan. PME MTL makes online tools available to help entrepreneurs produce:
- A personal balance sheet (download) (in French)
- A cash budget (download) (in French)
- Financial forecasts (download) (in French)
An executive summary is a two-page summary of your business plans. It is useful for financial partners and strategic partners.
This executive summary template can be adapted to your needs, based on your industry and objectives.