Tips and advice for improved eco-responsibility
Is being an eco-responsible business a passing fad or a new way of thinking about our role? The answer lies in the facts!
The scarcity of diminishing resources, the disruption of supply chains and the acceleration of climate change are realities that demand immediate action. The various levels of government have adopted legislation and regulations to pave the way for changes in our development and management approaches aimed at enhancing environmental protection. Being eco-responsible means embracing our responsibility for protecting the environment and taking action to limit the negative impacts that we generate.
Okay, but how? There are many ways to approach eco-responsibility, and the best way is to begin with the easiest steps your business can take! Here are some tips and advice to get you started on the right foot:
- Promote every possible energy efficiency measure at the office:
- Install low-power lighting
- Prioritize natural light, and close curtains and blinds if the sun is too bright
- Turn off computers when not in use for more than 15 minutes
- Lower heating and air conditioning requirements outside of business hours
Did you know that opting for electronic thermostats can generate savings of up to 70% in heating and air conditioning costs?
- Avoid inefficiency and the production of waste:
- Configure printers for two-sided printing
- Replace water bottles with pitchers
- Start using a composting system
- Avoid promotional items in favour of non-material corporate gifts (e.g.: gift cards for a local shop, tickets to local events, etc.).
If you would like more information, Équiterre has created a guide des objets promotionnels écoresponsables (Guide to eco-responsible promotional items – in French)!
All of these measures are worthwhile, but to really get you on the road to eco-responsibility, it can be integrated into your business objectives and incorporated into the company’s mission. This type of approach will have a long-term positive impact on the environment and the longevity of your business!
The basic idea is to create a portrait of internal practices, establish objectives and then adopt the means to attain them. The secret to the success of this approach is to involve your employees!
There is another benefit to embarking on the path to eco-responsibility: the engagement of your employees with respect to unifying dialogue and actions, and their involvement in the ongoing economic transition. In effect, in light of the urgency of climate change, everyone is on the same page in terms of eco-responsibility, including your clients, partners, investors, lenders and customers. In other words, eco-responsibility has become the new way of forging ties in business, thus sustaining your company!
Are you convinced, but don’t know where to start? That’s our job! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today.
- Fonds Écoleader (Ecoleader Fund): This program is an initiative of the Québec government to facilitate access to experts with a view to enhancing the environmental performance of your business. In addition to coaching, you will have access to non-repayable financial assistance.
- Hydro-Québec’s Efficient Solutions Program gives access to financial assistance of up to 75% of eligible costs to improve energy efficiency during the renovation or construction of buildings or factories.
- Énergir offers a number of grant programs for purchasing high-efficiency appliances and implementing projects aimed at reducing energy consumption.
- BNQ 21 000 is a normative guide (BNQ 21000 Standard) and application methodology (BNQ 21000 Method) intended to guide and equip all types of organizations for the progressive adoption of sustainable management practices, and to help formalize a dialogue with their various stakeholders.
Similar tools and resources
Good practices for optimizing your operations
Optimizing inventory management, maximizing logistics services and reducing your ecological footprint. These good practices will help you improve your operations.
Establishing your online presence
In this section, you will find resources and advice to help boost your online business and enhance your presence on the Web.
Third-party logistics services
E-commerce logistics can be a complex puzzle, but a third-party logistics service provider (3PL) can make your life much easier.
Everything you need to know about delivery
Offering high- quality and efficient delivery is crucial when it comes to retaining your customers. Advice for flawless operation.
How to create a decision matrix
Create your own decision matrix, an evaluation grid that will allow you to analyze all the possibilities and make a thoughtful choice to ensure your organization’s viability.
Evaluate whether your business is mature enough for international e-commerce
This tool will help you determine whether your business is ready for international online sales, or whether you need to review certain elements first.
Business plan template and useful start-up documents
The business plan is a tool that allows the entrepreneur to structure their project. This plan is developed by identifying the company's mission, the vision and values of the entrepreneurs, the product or service offer, market analysis, competitive analysis, marketing strategy, financial forecasts, etc.
Buying or selling a business
Getting ready to buy or sell a business Buying or selling a business calls for good preparation by both the vendor and the purchaser. The seller must ensure that the business is well positioned, show the value added by its goods and services, prove its market potential and highlight its team’s expertise. The buyer must also be ready and properly equipped to keep the business thriving. Various economic development players offer a number of t...
Specialized organizations and resources are available for entrepreneurs who want to do business abroad or explore new markets.
Financial partners and financing programs
Entrepreneurs and businesses have access to a wide range of financial partners ready to contribute to their economic development. In addition to financing, they offer a variety of other business services.
Directories: Coworking, incubators and businesses
Listing of coworking spaces in Montreal and most industrial and commercial businesses in West-Island and LaSalle.
Launching your business
When you want to start a business, it is important to be familiar with the steps involved. You don't need to have had a university degree in business administration or an enormous bank account to be successful. All you need is a good idea, a good plan, and the motivation to achieve your goals.
Marketing and commercialization
The essence of marketing is to understand your customers’ needs and develop a plan that responds to those needs.
The concept of social entrepreneurship places the emphasis on the entrepreneur, his or her values, mission and approach and the social impact of the business.
Depending on your industry, the proper location can be a strategic decision. PME MTL experts help entrepreneurs look for locations suited to their needs.
Dorval, Québec, H9P 1J1514 426-2888